Riley during rehab

Forums Your photos Riley during rehab

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  patwray 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Author Posts
Author Posts
June 18, 2012 at 10:19 am #593

tuckota
Subscriber

This is Riley, my 90 pound shorthair. He’s on point on one of our rehab walks. He’s had TPLO on both knees in the last four months. Probably due to his size and getting an average of 75 hunting trips the last five years plus all our romps in the spring.

Attachments:
June 18, 2012 at 1:14 pm #595

patwray
Key Master

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a 90 pound German shorthair. Looks like a fine animal. I guess I don’t know what TPLO is.
Pat

June 19, 2012 at 5:07 am #601

tuckota
Subscriber

Knee operation where they cut the femur and reshape the bone to replace the blown ligament that keeps the knee joint from sliding forward. I hope I explained it right. Riley looks like Wilt Chamberland compared to you and I when he stands next to a normal GSP.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by  tuckota.
June 24, 2012 at 6:30 am #606

patwray
Key Master

Sounds pretty involved. Are you expecting it to hold up over a season or are you looking for a younger dog?

June 25, 2012 at 10:01 am #607

tuckota
Subscriber

Pat, Hopefuly Riley will be 100% mid season. We’ll just test him each day to see how is strength is at the beginning of the season and take it from there. His hunting partner, Dakota, is retired at age 13 so Riley will have to handle the season by himself. Next spring we’ll be looking for another solid liver GSP pup to take the load off Riley in the future.

Riley’s knees should be stronger than his normal knees. It’s just the process of rehabbing after about four months of down time. My ace in the hole is I have a big pond that my boys love to swim in and Riley can start swimming in two weeks.

June 28, 2012 at 5:36 am #609

patwray
Key Master

Well, best of luck. Sounds like you’ve got all the pieces in place for a successful recovery.
I’ve got dog issues, too. My big setter, Toby, is 12 and only good for half day at best. Then he’s stove up for at least a day. My English pointer, Sadie, is 11, and though she’s in good shape, has an ankle that swells up whenever she works hard for more than an hour. If I didn’t have the young shorthair, Silky, I’d be seriously dog poor. Silky’s going to be great but at one year old, is still a little undependable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.