It’s Opening Day and I’m Not There

Somewhere along the line I became hardwired to chukars.  This is not to say that I start hunting on Opening Day…I rarely do.  It’s just that I am acutely aware of the season’s beginning.  Of course, I’m also aware of the time when chicks are likely to be born, when they might switch their diet from insects to vegetation, when they might start to fly, when the broods might begin to join up, when water sources might become scarce, when hunting pressure and experience might teach the young birds when to hold, when to fly, how to dive behind rocks, when to go to ground, when heavy snows might send them downhill, when long term snow cover might make the birds weak and far too vulnerable to hunt fairly, when winter breaks and the birds start thinking about finding mates and splitting up.  It’s opening day and I’m not there but I’ve got a pretty good feeling what’s going on.

7 Responses to It’s Opening Day and I’m Not There

1. Brian October 8, 2012 at 1:30 pm #

I’m not there either. But I’m sure thinking about it Pat. And hopefully soon, I will be there! More importantly: will those accursed, beloved, wiley chukar be there with me?

Straight shots, all!

2. patwray October 9, 2012 at 6:46 am #

Hey, Brian:
    Got an e-mail from Ray Livingston, who said he went out opening day and saw a ‘ton’ of chukars. I think he was somewhere along the John Day. He said it was dry and the birds were getting up a little wild, but there were a bunch. Halleleujah!

3. Kurt October 16, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Hi Pat,
    thought i’d give you a Lewiston,Idaho update, my old (11 years) shorthair got up no less than 120 birds and after a box of shells finally a limit in hand! I am cherishing every hunt with her this year as it will probably be last. Sad but lots of memories!

• patwray October 16, 2012 at 2:15 pm #

Holy smoke! Congratulations! I sure didn’t do anywhere near that well. Makes it even better with an older dog. Doesn’t get much better.
      Pat

4. Shannon_Flanagan October 24, 2012 at 10:40 am #

Hello All, I tried to post to the opening day blog, but each time I clicked on it, I found that I became logged out. Probably user error. Anyway, one son and I were out opening weekend and flushed one covey of about 10 birds five minutes from the truck…saw one more single the rest of day and netted none. Last weekend (Sunday 10/21) went to same spot this time with one son, one non-shooting daughter and same GSP and flushed 8 coveys, plus one of quail. 15 year old son got three and I got one plus a “trophy” quail. Legs are still sore, had a great time.

• Shannon_Flanagan October 24, 2012 at 10:45 am #

I forgot to mention we were between Wasco and Condon, Oregon.

• patwray October 31, 2012 at 5:01 am #

Hi Shannon:
        Sorry for delay in putting your post up. I’ve been hunting and I’m still struggling with the vagaries of websiting. Thanks for the information. You are the second person I’ve heard of doing well in that part of the world. What was the condition of your birds? Were they holding well?
        Pat